Candice Coates did another FWC, that’s Freestyle Writing Challenge for all you who are wondering about my love of acronyms (we’ll chalk it up to working alongside the government). Anywho, Candice just invited anyone to play along, so I did. Here’s her challenge and here’s my late night mind ramblings:
You walk into a room that was bursting with wild laughter, but as soon as you step in the laughter ceases. Who are you? Why has the mood shifted in the room? What will you do next?
Here’s my response. Be warned, it’s a little dismal.
I’m me. I really wish I was someone else right about now. Anyone else would do. Honestly, it’s been a while since this has happened, but every time it does it throws me off. I hate feeling like a pariah. The worst part is I don’t even know why it happens. No one will look at me and the throat clearing—don’t get me started on the one guy clearing his throat in the ensuing silence.
I just keep walking, eyes averted. I don’t want to see looks of discomfort or even pity. Either way, it truly sucks not knowing why my presence is a downer. It’s like having a birthday and no one showing up for the party. You know?
I make it to the counter and the guy behind the bar says, “what’ll it be?”
“A new face?”
No laugh. Not really a joke I guess. “I’ll take a chocolate milkshake.”
He just makes the drink and doesn’t say another word. I pay with the last four dollars in my wallet and turn to inspect the now buzzing room. Everyone pretends I’m not here, but I can feel the tension. I can feel the uncomfortable silence from the elephant in the room. Or is it a pink dinosaur?
So much for fitting in.
215 Words in 5 Minutes (not bad, definitely not great, but had a hard time thinking through this challenge!)
- Open a blank document.
- Set a stop watch or mobile phone timer to 5 or 10 minutes.
- Your topic is at the foot of this post. DO NOT SCROLL DOWN TO SEE IT UNTIL YOU ARE READY WITH YOUR TIMER!
- Once you start writing, do not stop until the alarm sounds!
- Do not cheat by going back and correcting spelling and grammar using spell check. (The challenge is only meant for you to reflect on your own control of sensible thought-flow and for you to reflect on your ability to write with correct spelling and grammar.)
- You may or may not pay attention to punctuation or capitals.
- At the end of your post, write down “No. of words = ____” to give an idea of how much you can write within the time frame.
- Copy and paste the entire passage on your blog post with a new topic for your nominees, and copy / paste these rules along with your nomination (at least 5 bloggers).
Since this is the third time I’m doing this, I won’t nominate anyone, but everyone is welcome to test their brains with my challenge:
You are the ruler of a small nation. Your kingdom is being invaded by your uncle Bertrand the Beast who was exiled from the land by your father when ol’ Bertie attempted to overthrow him. But you are surrounded by loyal subjects and your best friend, the Duke of LaMar who has a plan. What kind of ruler are you? How close is Bertrand? What is LaMar’s plan, and if you don’t follow his plan, what do you do?
Okay, so have fun.