Earlier this week, Steven Capps came on the blog and shared some helpful advice with us about honesty when it comes to publishing, awards, and credentials. He did a great job explaining the importance of the why we should be ethical and honest when using awards and sharing credentials in our bios, but I am sure some of us are wondering how to write a great Author Bio that will grab attention.
The best advice I can give is study what others are doing and practice. Don’t expect to be amazing at it on your first try. I can hear the groans now . . . Study? Practice? Yes. Do both.
To help you in that department, I’ve compiled this short list of helpful articles on writing an author bio. Beware that not all advice is created equal, so be discerning and then work on that stuff I mentioned above. You know, our friends: Study and Practice.
How To Write an Author Bio
- Self-Publishing Advice: Write the Best Author Bio
- Book Baby: How to Write a Great Author Bio
- Freelance Writing: Writing an Author Bio – Pro Examples
- Mystery Writes of America: How to Create a ‘Selling’ Author Bio
What other great resources have helped you write a great author bio?
Put a link in the comments and let us know.
I haven’t taken the time, or made the effort, or spent the money I don’t have to participate in competitions, at least not seriously yet, so I don’t have all that cool stuff to add to my bio.
I will say on a personal/reader level, when it comes to an author bio, I rarely pay much attention to all the shiny stuff and am more interested in finding out about the actual person: what this author thinks, believes, and what he puts his mind, heart and effort into. That’s what interests me when I read a bio.
- What reasons do you have for reading an author bio?
- Is it work related, like it is for Steven?
- How important is it that you see awards, education, and outside recognition?
- What is the most obvious reason to you to have those things in an author bio and for what purposes?
Consider this your own little interview. I love having you here! Please leave a comment and let’s chat. 🙂